Part of the Indiana Biographies Project
John W. Turner
On the roster of Wayne county's officers appears the name of John W. Turner in connection with the position of treasurer. This is an indication of his popularity and prominence, and all who know him willingly accord him a leading place among the esteemed citizens of the community. His entire life has been passed in the county, and has been one of uniform honor in business and fidelity in places of public trust. He is therefore deserving of mention among the representative men of this section of the state, and it is with pleasure that we present his history to our readers.
A son of Robert and Maria (Thompson) Turner, he was born in New Garden township, Wayne county, on the 16th of March, 1855. His father was born in the same township in the year 1815, and spent his entire life there, his death occurring in 1870. He was a successful farmer, owning two hundred and twenty acres of highly improved and richly cultivated land. He also engaged in raising, buying and selling stock, which he found to be a profitable source of income. His political support was given the Democracy, but he took no active part in the work of the party. He married Miss Maria Thompson and to them have been born two daughters and a son, but the daughters are now deceased.
John W. Turner was only six weeks old when his mother died, at which time he was taken to the home of his uncle, Benjamin Moorman, and by him was reared to manhood. He resided in Franklin township, near Bethel, and acquired his preliminary education in the district schools. Later he attended Amboy College, and on leaving school, when about twenty years of age, entered upon his business career as a farmer and stock dealer of Franklin township, Wayne county, to which industry he devoted his energies until called to public office. He owned and operated one hundred and twenty acres of arable land, and his well tilled fields yielded to him abundant harvests for the care and labor he bestowed upon them. He was also very successful in his stock dealing, shipping extensively to Buffalo, East Liberty, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, but mostly to the first named city. His systematic business methods, his sound judgment, his enterprise and his laudable ambition all contributed to make his business career a prosperous one.
In his political affiliations Mr. Turner has always been a zealous Republican, active in campaign work and laboring earnestly for the adoption of the principles which he believed would best advance good government. He was elected to the office of county treasurer in the autumn of 1896 and entered upon his duties on the 16th of November of that year, so that he is the present incumbent. He has been very efficient and faithful, making a most competent officer. He was also treasurer of the Wayne County Fair Association in 1898, and has ever been interested in this enterprise and in all movements or measures for the welfare of the agriculturists and stock dealers of the county.
On the 23d of September, 1876, Mr. Turner was united in marriage to Miss Josephine, daughter of Nathan Harlan, of Bethel. Socially he is connected with Bethlehem Lodge, No. 250, F. & A. M., Hollandsburg Lodge, No. 476, K. P., and Hokendauqua, No. 94, Improved Order of Red Men. He is a member of the Christian church, and while his life has not been characterized by thrilling incidents, his record is that of a man who has ever been true to himself, his neighbors and his country. He enjoys the regard of his fellow men, and is very widely and favorably known in Richmond and Wayne county.
Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana, Volume 1, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1899