Part of the Indiana Biographies Project
John W. Tingle
A most exemplary citizen and honored hero of the late war of the Rebellion is John W. Tingle, of Richmond, Wayne county, Indiana. During his army career he was wounded and imprisoned, and suffered much from privations and exposure, yet was always found faithful to the duties imposed upon him, and won the confidence and high regard of his comrades and superior officers. In his business life and social relations he has ever manifested the same justice, integrity and reliability, and none know him save to wish him well. His grandfather, James Tingle, was a native of Delaware, and in that state he married Leah Lockwood. With his family, including the father of the subject of this article, he came as far west as Preble county, Ohio, in 1828, and settled on a farm near Eaton. In addition to managing his homestead, he worked at the trade of shoemaking for his neighbors. He died in that county in 1848, at the age of eighty-four years.
The parents of John W. were Samuel L. and Clarissa (Williams) Tingle. The father was born in Delaware and accompanied the family to Ohio. He was a carpenter and builder by trade, and worked at that calling in Eaton and vicinity from the time he was twenty-one years old until his death in 1869, when he was in his sixty-second year. Considering the place and period he was quite successful, and many buildings yet stand in evidence of his skill. By his first marriage he had four children, John W., Anna M., of Richmond, and William E. and Fannie, deceased. In 1851 Mr. Tingle married Rachel M. Dopp, a native of Pennsylvania, and she is still living at her old home in Eaton. To this union two children were born, Charles S., of Colorado, and Mary S., of Eaton.
The birth of John W. Tingle occurred in Eaton, Ohio, October 31, 1838, and in 1855 he was graduated from the high school of that town. With his father he learned the carpenter's trade, and completed his knowledge in Dayton, Ohio. On the 16th of June, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at Eaton, and served until October 29, 1864, when he was honorably discharged, at Cincinnati, Onio, on account of a gunshot wound in the left knee, said injury having been received at the famous battle of Chickamauga. He was sergeant of his company, and on January 1, 1863, at the battle of Stone river, he was taken captive by the Confederates, who incarcerated him in Libby prison. Very fortunately for him he remained in that dreaded place but sixteen days, then being exchanged. On account of his wound he was sent to General Willett's headquarters, and later was given his discharge.
Returning to his birthplace, Mr. Tingle was superintendent of the county infirmary for two years, and in 1868 came to Richmond, where he has since dwelt. For a few years he was occupied in contracting and building and succeeded in his undertakings. Subsequently he served on the police force several years, and in April, 1888, he was elected trustee of Wayne township. In that capacity he acted for seven years and four months, retiring in 1895, to be succeeded by George Bishop, the present incumbent. He has always maintained great interest in the success of the Republican party, and during the past ten years or more has frequently been delegated to attend district, county and state conventions of the party.
Twice he has been commander of Solomon Meredith Post, No. 55, G. A. R., and has been junior and senior vice-commander of the state of Indiana, and for years has attended all the state and national conventions. Besides, he belongs to the Patriotic Order Sons of America. In the Independent Order of Odd Fellows he stands very high, having belonged to Richmond Lodge, No. 254, for twenty-seven years, to the grand lodge of the state for seventeen years, and to the grand encampment nine years. Many times he has represented his lodge in the grand lodge of the state at Indianapolis, and he is a member of Oriental Encampment, No. 28.
In 1898, Mr. Tingle and Perry T. Williams became associated in business, designing and dealing in artistic monuments. Their office is at the corner of Fifth and Main streets, and while Mr. Tingle has charge there and attends to the accounts, Mr. Williams attends to outside sales and does the designing. They are building up a good business and deserve to succeed in their new enterprise.
The marriage of John W. Tingle and Miss Mary Early was celebrated in West Alexandria, Ohio, in 1860. They have four children, namely: Charles R., who is assistant trustee of this township; Frank E., a machinist of Connersville; Samuel L., of Richmond; and Mrs. Estella Ault, also of this place. Mr. and Mrs. Tingle are members of the Fifth Street Methodist Episcopal church, the former being a trustee in the congregation.
Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana, Volume 1, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1899