Part of the Indiana Biographies Project
For almost a third of a century Henry Cutter has been engaged in the grocery business in Richmond, and is accounted one of the leading and substantial merchants of the city. He represents that class of worthy German citizens who, allying their interests with those of the New World, have adapted themselves to its different methods and customs with great readiness, and by consecutive effort and honorable dealing have gained a place among the successful and prominent men in the communities in which their lots have been cast.
Mr. Cutter was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1840, and is a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Menke) Cutter, also natives of the same country. The father died in 1854, and in 1857 the mother came with her family to the United States, locating in Richmond, Indiana. She died December 13, 1878. In her family were four children,—Louise, Henry, Anna and Catherine, the last named the wife of Adam Boess, of Richmond.
In the land of his nativity Henry Cutter acquired his education and spent the first seventeen years of his life. After his emigration to America he secured work as a farm hand in Wayne county, and afterward learned the tanner's trade in Wiggins' tan-yard, where he was employed for ten years. Acquiring some capital as the result of his industry and economy, he then began business for himself, opening a grocery store in Richmond on the 17th of September, 1867. He has carried on business at the same place continuously since, and has been very successful, owing to his straightforward business methods, his close application, energy and the good quality of groceries which he carries. He has also been a member of the German Fire Insurance Association since 1869, and for five years served as its president.
On the 5th of March, 1863, Mr. Cutter married Miss Minnie, daughter of Henry H. and Mary (Erk) Drifmeyer, natives of Hanover, Germany. The daughter was also born in that province, but since her seventh year, in 1848, has been a resident of Richmond. Her father died at the age of seventy-seven years, her mother in the sixty-fourth year of her age. They were the parents of seven children: Minnie, wife of our subject; Henry, Adam and William,—all three deceased; John; Charles; and Mary, wife of David Folkner. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cutter were born three sons: John A. L., who married Elida Snyder, daughter of Garrett Snyder, of Richmond; E. W. F., who married Riecka Roser, of Richmond; and G. H., who wedded Ida, daughter of Garrett Mashmeyer.
Mr. Cutter has long been numbered among the wide-awake and enterprising citizens of Wayne county, and has been honored with public office by his fellow townsmen, who have thus given evidence of their recognition of his worth and ability. He served as a member of the city council of Richmond from 1885 until 1891, and from 1894 until 1897 was city commissioner. He is a member of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church, and has filled nearly all of its offices. He is also treasurer and trustee of the Wernle Orphans' Home, an institution with which he has been connected since its inception. He possesses a benevolent nature, is liberal and charitable, in manner is kindly and genial, and well merits the high regard in which he is uniformly held.
Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana, Volume 1, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1899
Henry Cutter, grocer, Richmond, Ind., was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1840, a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Menke) Cutter. His father died in 1854, and in 1857 his mother, with her four children, came to the United States and located in Richmond, Ind. She died Dec. 13, 1878. Her children were Louise, Henry, Anna and Catherine, the latter the wife of Adam Boess, of Richmond. On coming to Indiana our subject first worked as a farm hand, and subsequently in Wiggins's tanyard ten years, thus learning that trade. Sept. 17, 1867, he opened the store where he is at present engaged, and where by his close attention to business and integrity he has been very successful. He is a liberal, public-spirited man, and is one of the substantial citizens of Richmond. March 5, 1863, he married Minnie Drifmeyer, a native ot Hanover, Germany, but since her seventh year, in 1848, a resident of Richmond. They have three sons — John A. L., E. W. F. and G. H. Mr. and Mrs. Cutter are members of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. He has filled nearly all the offices of the church, and is Treasurer and Trustee of Wernle Orphan Home, an institution he has been connected with since its inception.
History of Wayne County, Indiana. Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co. 1884. Volume 2